Sandy's Online Journal

Are we the dining dead?

Monday, August 30

Rattlesnake Drama

(I intended to put a picture of a rattlesnake here, but I couldn't even stand to look at the returns from the Google images search. Apologies.)

What a day. I feel like every year, no matter what year I am in school, there is something dramatic that happens the day before the first day of school. Today was no exception.

I got less than 5 hours sleep last night after a thrilling clubbing trip to the city with 70+ freshmen. That was joyous, especially the bus ride home when we were packed in like sardines. Even worse than sardines, actually, but I don't have a good comparison.

So, anyway, I woke up at the crack of 7:30 this morning and went home to see my family. My mom and I went out to breakfast, I looked at the ads, I fell asleep watching TV, I did crossword puzzles, I went swimming. It was a great, summery day. And then...as we were driving to the BART station, we stopped at the house to pick up my sweatshirt. As I was opening the door I heard some hissing and then the very distinctive sound of rattling. From a rattlesnake.

I jumped two feet in the air and ran screaming back to the carport. My mom sent me up to the park to get our friends to come kill it while she kept guard. A half hour later I watched my uncle shoot its head off with a rifle. Good times, good times.

As we were watching the rattlesnake's headless body writhe on the ground between us, my mom quipped, "Well, at least you'll have something interesting to tell people you did over summer!" The understatement of the year.

It will make for good conversation fodder, though, especially as a prepare for a week of mindless introductions and quick answers to "Hi! How are you? How was your summer?" FUN!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home