Sandy's Online Journal

Are we the dining dead?

Sunday, January 16

Update!


Okay, wow. Sorry about that. Something about Winter Break (perhaps not having reliable internet?) causes me to not blog. But I'm back at school avoiding work so blogging shall begin again.

What have I been doing since December 18? I worked for a while, attended the Clayton Valley High School reunion (pretty fun and weird at the same time), had a fabulous Christmas, and then flew to Texas. We visited the San Antonio River Walk, the botanical gardens, Central Market (also known as the "Gucci H.E.B."), the Sam Houston army post and the quadrangle, Austin, Rudy's barbecue (tasty!), and Fredericksburg (not necessary in that order). I also found two wonderful pairs of jeans at a Gap in San Antonio and Paula and I had a silly trip to Wal-Mart while we were trying to find a Target.

What I almost left out is that, thanks to airline miles, WE FLEW FIRST CLASS, an amazing experience. Much better lunch, so much more space, warm mix of nuts and soda BEFORE the plane takes off. On the way back it was even better...it was literally like sitting in a leather recliner watching a big screen TV, yet we were on an airplane. Craziness.

After returning to California I celebrated New Year's with Ted and Jill (Ryan was in Vegas), had a low key weekend, and returned to work for the next week. Last Friday Paula and I went to the snow (somewhere near Arnold) and it was fun! Built a snowman, had a snowball fight, the usual. Crazy snow and rain while we were driving home (so we stopped at a small restaurant on the way for an ice cream cone and a milkshake).

On Saturday, January 8 I moved my stuff back to Berkeley (not such a difficult task, actually) and then got ready for Ariel's wedding. Ryan and I attended the ceremony in Alameda, visited In 'n' Out, and then attended the reception at Hs. Lordships in Berkeley. It was fabulous and I'm so glad we were able to go.

On Sunday I hung out at home, saw Million Dollar Baby, delivered some Red Cross blood drive materials, and returned to Berkeley for our first Hall Staff meeting of 2005. I was thinking it would be all fun and good until I realized how much there was to do. Crazy. That is when I had a stressful few days as we had to juggle training and opening the hall (and the SM booth has no phone or swipe machine...it's really not a booth at all). I've also been leading various Welcome Week programs (bowling, crime prevention, trip to San Francisco). All have gone well...yesterday we took 10 or 12 students to SF for the MLK celebration (not easily marked, let me tell you). We finally found it and received a discount card to get into MOMA and various other things for free so we visited Where the Wild Things Are at the Metreon and then the MOMA and then Shonte and I had dinner at The Cheesecake Factory (and we bided our time by sampling perfumes while watiting for a table; luckily the restaurant pager works even on the first floor of Macy's, which they tell you it doesn't). And THEN we saw In Good Company, which was pretty good. I agree with the three star rating. It was a crazy full day.

I now have the weekend (or the half of it that's left) to relax before classes start on Tuesday. And I already bought my books! I will probably see a movie today (or perhaps do something more conducive to the beautiful weather), get my nails done tomorrow...few plans, really. Until next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home