Sandy's Online Journal

Are we the dining dead?

Sunday, January 23


Okay, more updates. I'm getting better about this--it's only been a week since I last posted.

Last week was insane because school started. It technically wasn't that busy, it was just that weird feeling of going to class and meetings and all that good stuff again. Luckily, Ruby, the new Red Cross Account Manager, starts handling blood drive accounts this week and I can get that off my hands and focus just on campus blood drives.

For the holiday on Monday I didn't do much--just bummed around and went shopping with Ryan and went back to Berkeley in the evening. On Tuesday I had Public Policy 117AC (race and public policy), which seems to be a pretty good class. No exams, just four papers, and I had the professor last semester and she's pretty nice. So far we're reviewing what we learned in her class last semester so I already feel like I'm ahead. I am debating whether or not I should actually buy the reader...or if I should just make copies of the articles at the library. I don't want to spend my entire existence in the library making copies, so I might just splurge for the $40 reader. Not bad considering I spent less than $200 on books this semester.

Later on Tuesday I had my Psych 148 seminar which seems okay. We are reading the classic authors of developmental psychology (Erikson, Vygotsky, Piaget). Unfortunately I have already flipped through Childhood and Society and it's less than engaging.

On Wednesday I went to a resistance training class that I will hopefully get into, and then attended Psych 117 which seems really interesting (even though the subject of neuropsychology sounds daunting). I then quickly made my way over to OBC to meet Ruby, where we had lunch and I prompty returned to campus to wait at the Financial Aid office, only to have to leave 45 minutes later (without beeing seen by a counselor) to go to class. Public Policy 190 is interesting enough...it deals with environmental issues which I know very little about. And there are a lot of grad students in the class which is a little intimidating.

On Wednesday night a had a conference call for the National Youth Council, went to HIV testing (I only tested 2 people...slow night), and then came back to Unit 2 to lead the SM meeting, which went way too long because we now have more Security Monitors and three buildings.

On Thursday morning Kathy and I attended the Alameda County Council meeting and were a bit late, but things worked out perfectly because we gave our report at the end and then left for our 9:30 classes. Thank you to Shonte who made things so much easier by letting us borrow her car. On Thursday afternoon I went to my other Public Policy 190 class on science and technology...pretty interesting and I have a professor I also had last semester and he seems to be much more enthused about this topic.

Friday was when the true insanity happened. I went home to say goodbye to Paula on Thursday night and then took BART to the blood center on Friday morning, only to find that the blood drive staff arrived on campus and were told that the ballroom had not been booked. Oy. To sum it up quickly, they set up in the lounge outside (only after I called my supervisor to tell her to tell the Collections supervisor to tell them to set up, and this was all after they insisted that the person in reservations tell me [and ONLY me, not any staff member who was already there] that it was okay to set up there) and the drive "only" started about an hour late.

It was nice to be able to relax and celebrate Kathy's birthday on Friday night (we watched Wimbledon and played Taboo) and then yesterday I cleaned and ran errands around the unit and went to T.G.I. Friday's for a (there is no one word to describe it) meal with Ryan's friends and now I've just been to breakfast and I'm back home. And I need to edit my resume. Pronto.

Adios.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home