Sandy's Online Journal

Are we the dining dead?

Wednesday, January 11

Recapping 2005

Borrowed this from Justin:

  1. What did you do in 2005 that you'd never done before?
    I graduated from college, traveled to Europe, and moved away from California.
  2. Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
    I don't think I made any last year. If I did, they probably revolved around finding something productive to do after graduation, which I accomplished.
  3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
    Not that I remember?
  4. Did anyone close to you die?
    Yes, my stepgrandfather, Grandpa Henley. He was a really cool person.
  5. What countries did you visit?
    France, Spain, Ireland, Italy, England, and Belgium. Inside the US: Alabama...that was a memorable trip. Jacksonville...hmm.
  6. What would you like to have in 2006 that you lacked in 2005?
    Perhaps some more money? I worry for my savings.
  7. What date from 2005 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
    Good question. May 21: graduated from college. June 3: left for Europe. July 28: returned to US thanks to a very generous aunt and her boss who donated his frequent flyer miles. (Long story.)
  8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
    I would have to say...graduating from college. You may be sensing a theme here.
  9. What was your biggest failure?
    When I left the blood region there wasn't an intern who continued in my place. It's too bad, because there are a lot of things someone in that position can do to increase collections on campus. I didn't book my flight back from Europe for early enough and I had to find an alternative way home. I didn't go to Korea for the General Assembly meeting...another long story.
  10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
    I had several appointments with the Tang Center about the upper respiratory infections that result from my air travel. Yet I still moved across the country several months later.
  11. What was the best thing you bought?
    I thoroughly enjoy my iPod, particularly since the newer versions have much better battery life. And of course, my gorgeous Power Book, though I didn't pay for that. I also really like most of my winter clothes (fashion is complicated in snowy locales) including my North Face snow jacket. Oh, and the Netflix subscription. That was a good decision on my part.
  12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
    Ryan has always been there, even though I went to Europe for 2 months and then moved to DC when I got back. Karla and Christine get kudos for encouraging me to go to Europe, because I had the time of my life. My sister is the best I could ask for.
  13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
    Let's say I had some difficulty with a new volunteer role in the beginning, but it's working out now.
  14. Where did most of your money go?
    Rent, rent, rent. Before that: travel, travel, travel.
  15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
    Being able to be responsible and have a great time all over the world, including three non-English speaking countries. Assuming my newest leadership role which is so much fun and constantly interesting.
  16. What song will always remind you of 2005?
    Definitely "Lies (Rebellion)" and "Neighborhood #2 (Laika)" by The Arcade Fire. And anything from Get Behind Me Satan.
  17. Compared to this time last year, are you:

      happier or sadder?
      Happier. I was pretty nervous about what I was going to do with my life at this time last year.
      thinner or fatter?
      Hmm. Thinner, I think. Haven't really been keeping track.
      richer or poorer?
      Poorer. Sigh.

  18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
    I wish I had volunteered more for Hurricane Katrina.
  19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
    I wish I had done less worrying about working out the details of my fellowship, and less stressing about moving to DC.
  20. How will you be spending Christmas next year?
    Hopefully at home in California!
  21. Did you fall in love in 2005?
    No, but I stayed in love, definitely.
  22. How many one-night stands?
    Haha.
  23. What was your favorite TV program?
    I have many: Law & Order, House, The Daily Show, the Colbert Report, Scrubs (seasons 1 and 2). In the MTV realm: Laguna Beach, I miss you.
  24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
    Not that I can think of. I forgive easily.
  25. What was the best book you read this year?
    How to Be Good by Nick Hornby was very thought-provoking for me. Anyone else who has a career in service should read it.
  26. What was your greatest musical discovery?
    I discovered that I like to listen to the same songs over and over and that frustrates me.
  27. What did you want and get?
    A nice break after graduation. An exciting career opportunity.
  28. What was your favorite film of this year?
    Junebug. Match Point (though I technically saw it in 2006). Millions.
  29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
    I turned 22 and had the least eventful birthday ever. I took a red eye that landed at 7:00 AM on my birthday and then made my way to the Red Cross for an all day meeting about International Services. I left early to head to Youth Service America to find out they decided to do my birthday the day after. Taylar made me a lovely cake, they sang, it was nice. I received many Facebook messages and phone calls!
  30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
    Perhaps if I knew a person or two in DC before I got here?
  31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2005?
    I wouldn't.
  32. What kept you sane?
    Friends, family, my conscience, the usual.
  33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
    Ohh, Jake Gyllenhaal.
  34. What political issue stirred you the most?
    The Supreme Court nominations are making me nervous.
  35. Who did you miss?
    Everyone I left when I went to Europe, particularly Ryan. Everyone I left when I went to DC, particularly my family and Ryan.
  36. Who was the best new person you met?
    Hmm, good question. All the new National Youth Council members are awesome, though I technically knew most of them before 2005. That said, my choice is Umberto Tonero, from the Italian Red Cross. He showed me that Red Cross volunteers are so similar even when they speak different languages, and he was the best host I could have hoped for. I also particularly enjoy working with Merle.
  37. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
    Bah.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home