Sandy's Online Journal

Are we the dining dead?

Wednesday, April 14

Done. Done. Done.



The day is finally over. In review: I woke up at 7:30 this morning, an hour later than planned. Showered, checked e-mail, ate breakfast, the usual. Could not concentrate on Developmental Psychology for the life of me, resulting in getting a 0 out of 2 on my 11 AM quiz. Yuck. Plus, my GSI let us out 3 minutes late, making me 5 minutes late to English. Double yuck. I've decided that anyone who teaches in Tolman should be required to let students out 3-5 minutes early so they have adequate time to hike back to central campus for their next class.

Speaking of classes, my TeleBears is on Monday. So far I think I am taking Psych 150 (Personality Psych with Prof. Oliver John), Psych 119 (Drugs and the Brain with Prof. David Presti), English or Comparative Literature R1B (finally), and Interdepartmental Studies 130. I am also considering African American Studies 112 and Psychology 192 if they fit. We'll see. I keep going through this debate about whether or not to take Psych 101 this summer. My brain says yes because I hate math and I need to dedicate my time to just math, once class at a time, since I hate it so much.

So, back to my day. We had a very personable director named Greg Pak speak to my English class. I feel like he's going to be big one day because he just had that director kind of a voice. I could totally imagine his voice on a director commentary version of a film. Anyway, he showed clips from his films and talked about how he uses mostly minority and mixed race actors. His new film, Robot Stories, comes out this weekend. I don't think I would have any desire to see it had he not spoken to my class because it's science fiction. However, I am considering seeing it just because he seems like such a nice guy. And the clip he showed was pretty good.

Then I checked in with the blood drive. Luckily, Ariel is back in action so he was handling the recruitment and making sure the staff kept going in order to help us make goal. There have been too many blood drives in the past few days so I am pretty burned out. He said I was a "sight for sore eyes" so I'm glad I could be of some use.

Developmental Psychology lecture was interesting enough--attachment blah blah blah. My favorite time for crossword puzzles.

Then I had two and a half hours to kill. This was entirely new to me. I wasn't sure what to do with myself. I bought some Pop Tarts (my new favorite food) and then went to Gypsy's and had chicken and broccoli (my usual). I read SF Weekly and the Daily Cal and then went to pick up my paycheck from Residential and Family Living. Oh, how I love depositing paychecks in the ATM. There is a certain happiness you get when the screen comes up and you choose "Deposit" on the left rather than "Withdrawal" on the right. O happy day.

Next, on to West Berkeley! I spent a chilly hour or so outside of Peet's Coffee & Tea on Fourth Street doing a crossword puzzle, drinking a swirl Freddo, and giving my input to the Santa Clara measles youth group via conference call. My fingers were frozen by the time I started walking to the Public Health Clinic.

HIV testing tonight was very relaxed. I had low risk people and I met the most health conscious gay man ever. It was quite the change from last week. I left at 7:30 and now I'm here. Avoiding tomorrow.

Another long day tomorrow...starting with the Alameda County Leadership Council meeting in the morning, then meeting with Dr. Lee Goldstein, a Board of Governors member, then off to class, and then to work. And then to Consultation Hours and then to the Panhellenic meeting to talk about the blood drive. And then I think we're watching Kill Bill, if I'm still awake.

Back to Lee Goldstein...I am nervous! I want to make sure I have relevant, interesting questions to ask him about the Red Cross. I think open-ended questions will work well. I am particularly interested in what's going on Biomedical Headquarters and also what projects he's worked on as a governor. I hope he has some good advice for how I can best advocate for youth involvement and the Measles Initiative on a national level. He seems like a nice guy.

Now, totally random: let's sort out my plans for the weekend. There are so many things going on now that it's April. I would like to (1) Go to "The Sex Files: Reloaded," the play being put on by the multicultural AIDS program, (2) Have a successful Red Cross table at Cal Day, (3) Attend the Berkeley Bay Festival and possibly ride in a sailboat, and (4) See Robot Stories and possibly see Greg Pak speak again. I think we're also supposed to see Kill Bill part 2. You can tell that's really high on my list. Homework and studying didn't exactly make it on there either.

P.S. Happy Anniversary to me and Ryan--three and a half years! Imagine that.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home